Bible27: Informational Web Site Edited & Maintained by Bobby G. Goodman Jr.
RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE BIBLE
I. DIVIDED INTO TWO PARTS: OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT- Matt 13:52
A. The Old Testament- Heb 8:13 2Cor 3:14
1. Two Parts: Creation to Moses- Patriarchal Age (4114-1447a.d.) Moses to Jesus death- Mosaic Age (1447b.c.-31a.d.)
2. Patriarchal Age- patriarchal means Fathers, During the Patriarchal Age God spoke to the heads of families (The Fathers). This law was unwritten, verbal law, given to tribes and individuals. This period is covered in Genesis and Job. Spoke to Adam (Gen 2:15-19, 3:9), Cain (Gen 4:6-7, 9-15), Enoch (Gen 5:21-24), Noah (Gen 12:1-2), Abraham (Gen 12:1-2), Job (Job 38:1), other men (Job 1:6 2:1), and many others.
3. Mosaic Age- God selected Moses to establish the Israelite nation and to be the primary lawgiver. It was a written national law. This law was name the "Law of Moses", "Mosaic Law", or just "The Law." Moses Law contains Exodus though Malachi.
a. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are New Testament books but cover a time in which Jesus and the Jews are still under the Law of Moses. The Law officially ended with Jesus death- Eph 2:11-17 Col 2:11-17 Heb 7:15-17, etc..
b. The Mosaic Law was given to the country of Israel (Jews).Exodus 19:1-8 Duet 1:1.
C. Christians are forbidden to follow it. Acts 15:1-19 Galatians 2:11-21, 3:1-29, 4:1-31, 6:11-18, etc..
B. The New Testament- A Universal written law delivered by Jesus Christ the Son of God. Universal meaning that it is for all people, everywhere (Acts 17:30-31 1John 2:1-2). The books in the New Testament are Matthew to Revelation.
1. It is the only Authority, Law, Guide for today- John 12:44-50, Hebrews 1:1-2, 2:1-4, Gal 1:1-11, 3:25, 4:30, 5:4; etc..
2. Spoken to Us by His Son- Jesus the Only Lawgiver today
a. Jesus' word is what judges us- John 12:44-50
b. We must pay attention to the Lord's words- Heb 2:1-4
c. We must Obey Jesus- 1John 2:1-6 John 3:16-18
II. THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT IN GALATIANS 2 & 3
A. Gal 2:11-16 TRUTH of the Gospel: Justified by Faith not the Law
1. What is "the Law"? What is "Faith"?- Involved "Jews" and "Gentiles"
2. "Faith"- was belief in Christ vrse 2:16, 17, 20, & 3:1 etc...
3. "Faith"- is the Gospel of Christ: Compare Gal 3:11 & Rom 1:16-17
4. "the Law"- was Given 430 years after God gave the promises to Abraham (2167-1992) in Genesis 12:3 22:17-18
a. Israel Went into Egypt in 1877BC and Came out in 1447BC (1447 + 430 = 1877) Law of Moses Given in 1447BC at Mt. Sinai."the Law" is the Law of Moses.
5. "the Law"- Jesus freed them from (Gal 3:13)-
a. The law of Moses Jesus removed- Eph 2:11-15 2:11-17 etc.
6. "the Law"- was unable to make righteous Heb 10:1-11
a. Note that "the Law" in Hebrews is the Law of Moses Heb 3:2-6, 7:14 8:5 9:19, 10:28, 11:23-24, 12:21, etc..
b. Gal 3:23-29 No Longer under the Law of Moses (Tutor)
Tutor (3807)-a tutor, that is, a guardian and guide of boys. Among the Greeks and the Romans the name was applied to trustworthy slaves who were charged with the duty of supervising the life and morals of boys belonging to the better class. The boys were not allowed so much as to step out of the house without them before arriving at the age of manhood.
. E-Mail Bob Goodman