Bible27: Informational Web Site Edited & Maintained by Bobby G. Goodman Jr.
SATAN AND JOB
INTRODUCTION: The account of Job tells us much about Satan.
I. THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF JOB- JOB 1:1-8
A. Characteristics ascribed to Job
1. Perfect - Complete, morally innocent, having integrity
2. Upright - straightforward, just, right, pleasing God.
3. Feared God- reverence, respectful, turned away from evil
B. Examples of Job's righteousness
1. Sacrificed in case his sons had secretly sinned- Job 1:4-5 (See Ezek. 14:13-20)
2. Charged not God foolishly- Job 1:20-22
3. Did not sin with his lips- Job 2:10
II. SATAN AFFLICTS JOB- VERSES 1:6-22
A. The day the sons of God present themselves- 1:6 [2000 B.C.]
1. The day- Righteous men regularly worshipped God in the days of Job
2. Sons of God- designation for those humans who served God in contrast for those who did not.
a. John 1:12 Romans 8:14 Phil 2:15 1Jhn 3:1-2
b. Same as in Gen 6:1-4 the sons of God are the sons of Seth [Gen 4:25-26]; Daughters are Cain's.
B. Satan the enemy of righteous Job; speaks against him- 1:8-11
C. Satan given authority to test Job- vrs 12
1. God limits Satan- can not harm Job personally
D. How Satan carries out his authority
1. Ox, asses, servants lost to Sabeans- 1:13-14
2. Sheep & servants lost to fire from heaven- 1:16
3. Camels & servants lost to Chaldeans- 1:17
4. Seven sons & three daughters killed in freak storm- 1:18-19
Note: Satan uses political forces, thieves, natural disasters, and miracle to carry out his destruction.
E. Job withstands Satan's devices without sin- 1:20-22
III. SATAN AFFLICTS JOB THE SECOND TIME- JOB 2:1-10
A. Another day men came to worship God- 2:1
1. Satan was walking the earth- 2:2
2. God commends Job to Satan 2:3
a. God accepts responsibility for Job's troubles
b. Done without Job causing it.
B. Satan give authority and limits to again afflict Job 2:4-9
1. Satan again speaks against Job
2. Can do anything but kill Job
3. Job afflicted with a sever medical condition- boils
C. Job is once again successful- 2:10
IV. OTHER TIMES SATAN AFFLICTS MEN PERSONALLY- 1Peter 5:8
1. Joshua the high priest- Zech 3:1-2
2. Jesus- Matt 4:1
3. Woman- Luke 13:11-17
4. Peter- Luke 22:31-34
5. Paul- 2Cor 12:7-10
. E-Mail Bob Goodman